Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Finding my voice

As I wandered back and forth today between my bedroom--where my homework sat glaring at me--and my piano room, calling my name, I decided to sing out a few high Gs and A-flats from sections in a favorite piece of mine, "M'appari Tutt'amor" by Flotow. You know, for some midmorning kicks and giggles.

I have always struggled as a vocalist for several reasons. I have TMJ, which produces an abnormal amount of tension in my jaw and limits how far I can open my mouth, in addition to being an insecure, tense singer (and person, let's face it) at times. I have come to realize in this short segment of rehearsal that throughout my entire undergraduate studies, I never truly believed in myself.

I have grown too accustomed to my identity as a petite person, much like a person identifies themselves with being a particular race, citizen, or possessing a certain level of IQ. This idea of being limited in physical stature has somehow transferred itself into the belief that I myself am limited in my personal stature--my self-worth, my ability, and my potential. I believe that same line of thinking has spanned across multiple areas of my life and has infected my confidence, decision-making, and view of myself in a most negative and crippling way. And in these short moments of rehearsal, I have begun a journey to debunk that negative line of thinking.

Not to say that I am anywhere near an expertly-trained vocalist, because I am still very much an amateur, but I have discovered a very, very, important truth. I have discovered something akin to buried treasure; buried treasure that, along with the assistance and influence of others, I have discovered only because I had to allow myself to trust.

As I sang through some phrases, I actually was applying some teaching methods I am currently teaching to middle school singers. Strange, isn't it? That when you actually apply what you have learned and are teaching to others, you improve? What a discovery. As I opened my mouth to its fullest extent without pain or tension, by shaping my "ah" vowel as tall as I can, pursing my lips forward and making sure I opened my throat--out came a free, rich sound, full of vibrato and most importantly--with ease. I realized in these few short moments that this beauty, ease, and richness can only come out of a singer who is confident and free, a concept which I've hardly ever grasped.

Singing is actually controlled freedom, which sounds paradoxical, but it truly isn't. Similar to being a disciple of Jesus--where I am completely free from the punishment of sin yet I must control my freedom in order to fully experience his presence and blessing--I must first discover this tremendous freedom I can have as a singer and yet control it using the wealth of knowledge I possess. The furthest distance, however, between knowing and applying has been in the trusting of myself; trust is the most difficult hurdle to overcome.

You can't imagine what this experience is truly like unless you have been the kind of person I have been my whole life--always struggling with comparing myself to others, wishing I had traits that others have. For example, with my voice, I've told myself I will never be able to produce a Verdi type of sound; it will never come from my tiny body. "You have a voice for church solos, weddings, and art songs. That's what you're good at. Do that." That's what I've told myself for years.

But after this morning, I discovered the simple act of trusting myself, to truly "let it go," and what resulted was the unveiling of abilities I didn't know I had. I still may not be a Verdi-type of vocalist, but the important lesson learned is this: instead of focusing on where I am lacking, I have decided to trust what I know, to engage in what I know, and to enjoy the freedom it brings.

I am so excited that this truth was unlocked for me this morning and I look forward to see how it will benefit myself and others as I will become a future educator, friend, and maybe someday a wife and mother. The journey to finding "one's voice," is actually never complete; but in my quest to discover this, I need to remember this always: that I am petite in stature, not in ability.






3 comments:

  1. One of my all time favorite singers is 5'1" Jane Powell (co star in 1950s film "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers"). Dynamite voice. Possibilities...there are amazing possibilities from small packages. Keep working, keep striving, keep glorifying Him with your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! :) You have always been a huge talent and beautiful singer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, so much for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete