Monday, February 20, 2012

Leggings and blogging

I've never been one to hop on bandwagons or follow trends. On the contrary, it is in my nature to resist them with brute force. But in recent years I have realized that I have this habit of resisting trends for so long that I eventually lose all self-control, I deny myself, and succumb to trends just as they are retiring--when they have become irrelevant, unpopular, and even in some cases--dated.

Over the years, for example, I have resisted purchasing leggings because so many girls abuse the original purpose for which they were created and wear them in place of--dare I say--pants. I did not want to ever be categorized with such fashion miscreants, so I resisted the spandex altogether.

But recently I have made the profound discovery that wearing leggings--not as a replacement for pants and worn in public, mind you--is actually quite practical. When I wear them to bed, they stay put, unlike regular pants that creepily sneak up my legs as I sleep. When I am doing chores around the house, such as sweeping or mopping, they stay snugly attached to my legs and do not get in the way like regular pants, which sweep dirt around and get wet in the random puddles of water around my kitchen.

I have also succumbed to the not-so-recent-trend of writing a blog. Maybe I am imagining things, but I recall blog-writing becoming really popular around four or five years ago and its novelty has been slowly declining ever since.

So now, here I am, feeling hip and groovy in my leggings and writing a blog. I feel as though I have somehow been defeated by our culture, but I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment