Monday, July 15, 2019

I am an artist.

Warning: This is the hippiest of things I've ever written on my blog!

I came back from Door County this weekend feeling refreshed and inspired.

When my friends and I were strolling down the main sidewalk through Ephraim, casually visiting little shops and galleries along the way, we came across an 1800s cottage that was a pottery studio. The man inside was the potter himself, soft-spoken and anxious to share with us about his process. After speaking with him a little further, I told him that I was an artist. Excitedly he asked what kind of art I produce. I then began to persuade him that maybe I wasn't really a true artist after all--I told him that I was a music teacher, that I don't really have a particular medium I usually work with, and that I don't really produce a lot of works.

But upon further reflection, I realize was so wrong. I am an artist.

As my friends sauntered through gallery after gallery, I became lost in a time warp of my own, staring at millimeters of brush strokes and bold colors, stopping at several pieces for long intervals of time. I was excited to see pieces where the painter decided not to color in a leaf, rather leave it transparent, cartoon-like. I was determined to find out what color was used underneath a painting to give it a particular warmth. I had no idea how with oil pastels one could get such fine lines and layers of texture.

I have always been an artist, ever since I was a young child. I was always drawing, painting, sculpting, creating something out of recycled materials--the list goes on. Even when I am with children now, I'm usually the one who's more excited to take out crayons and paper or sidewalk chalk.

In high school I became heavily involved in choir and singing opportunities, so naturally I decided to pursue music education for my major in college. Though as a senior trying decide my future, I struggled to choose between music and art. Since then, I've somehow allowed myself to believe that because of what I chose to pursue as a profession, that it nullified my lifelong identity as an artist. (Specifically, a visual artist).

An artist observes. Questions. Refines. Imagines. Reflects. Marvels. An artist is someone who doesn't lose their identity as an artist simply because we haven't produced anything and certainly not because we don’t produce works to make a living.
After seeing so many different works of art throughout Door County, I am reminded that I have every right to call myself an artist. For myself and others, don't let your resumé limit you. For some, it may be that you don't consider yourself a musician because you can't read music, or that you haven't had any kind of training. But do you observe? Do you question? Do you think about how a piece of music could be refined? Do you marvel at it?

Believe that you are an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment