Friday, August 31, 2012

Joy Comes In The Morning

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

I woke up at 7am this morning and always feel a sense of pride when I can climb out of bed and start my day that early. When I make my coffee and sit down at the kitchen table, I feel as though I have a large, blank canvas of possibilities for my day and I can't wait to start writing down all of the things I want to accomplish.

Mornings make me feel motivated. When the sun tickles the tops of trees as it peeks over rooftops and birds are tweeting in every direction it gives me an overwhelming positive feeling, as if I just got back from a jog (which I probably should be doing right now).

I wake up with this childish, naive sense of enthusiasm but then as my day unfolds, that enthusiasm gets choked and it dwindles down to nothing by evening. I feel like the cares of the world get placed on my shoulders with every hour, one little thing building on top of another: worries of the future, my bank account, my faults, my lack of contentment, etc.

I think the same can be said for my relationship with Christ. He explains our relationship with him as a seed--The Word--that is sown in each person and there are different circumstances that can either nourish the seed into growth or choke it and it dies:

"As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful." Matthew 13:22.

I am reminded this morning that I need to begin each day with the attitude of a child. God says that he has rescued me from death for all eternity, that even though I may screw up, that he is faithful to forgive, and that he loves me so much that he "rejoices" over me. So now I need to just believe it.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Luke 18:17

This is not to say that I will just put on blinders and pretend that everything is peachy-keen because life, most of the time, is not. But I need to be reminded of how children are so quick to believe without seeing and trust without any skepticism.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1.

That is where I believe true contentment and joy lies: in faith. By having faith that God will carry out his promises and trusting him with every piece of my life, there I find freedom, rest, and peace because the control has been relinquished to someone else, someone who is all-powerful and all-knowing.

Now how can I possibly go throughout my day today with this knowledge and not be joyful?

Psalm 30:5: "For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning."



No comments:

Post a Comment