Monday, April 9, 2012

Christian by day, Christian by night

I recently saw someone post an article on their facebook page entitled, "I'm Christian, unless you're gay."

The title made me very curious as I thought it would be an article about denying one's faith in the midst of trials, but as I read on, I realized it was just a typical rant about loving people. But just the title alone got me thinking. When I first read the title I interpreted it as, "I'm a Christian, but only when it's safe to say I'm a Christian."

I started to reflect on all of the times that I've talked with or hung out with a person who has a different set of beliefs than I do and how I tend to cowardly remain silent in a conversation or situation where I might face opposition or discomfort.

One evening while working at Caribou, a co-worker and I thought about making the trivia question for the next day, "What is the meaning of life?" as a fun way to interact with customers and see what they might say. My co-worker flat-out asked me, "So, what's your answer?" I couldn't believe it, but I struggled to find the words. All that flashed through my mind was, "Jesus." But due to my extreme insecurity and out of fear of making my co-worker feel uncomfortable, I just said, "I don't really know what to say. I'd have to think about it more."

I was so disappointed in myself.

I can also recall times where I've been in a conversation with a family member or friend when I had the opportunity to tell him or her what I truly believed about a certain subject, but I ended up passively leaving the room or changing the subject for fear out of how he or she might have reacted.

What is the most disheartening is that in each of these situations, I realize that I am not actually concerned with the other person's discomfort--it is my own discomfort that I am the most concerned with. If someone reacts awkwardly, I will feel uncomfortable. If someone reacts angrily, I will feel hurt.

So where does this leave me? I remember what Jesus said about following him:

“If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." (Luke 9:23) 

When you deny yourself and take up your cross, it is not a pleasant experience. Jesus is saying that you will experience discomfort. You may even feel pain, loneliness, alienation, and loss. But this is what he promises to us:

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me." (Matthew 5:11)

Remember, you will be blessed when you choose to bring glory to Christ over your desire to remain comfortable. Also, remember that Peter, although he was told of it beforehand, still denied Jesus three times. Did Jesus forsake Peter? No. He forgave him. Peter, in fact, went on to do great things for the kingdom of God.

I will end with this:

"Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment